· Till 30th November, 2012, there are 346 sugar mills in operation as against 354 operated on the corresponding period in 2011-12 season.
· As on 30th Nov, 2012, 23.30 lakh tons of sugar has been produced in the country as against 23.92 lakh tons produced during the same period last year. The lower production is majorly on account of Uttar Pradesh, where sugar mills actually started very late and are still waiting for declaration of cane price by the State Govt. for the season 2012-13.
· Sugar Production in UP as on 30th November, 2012 is about 2.50 lakh tons from 90 operational mills as against 5.22 lakh tons produced by 96 mills on the corresponding period last year. But good news on recovery %, as this time it has been reported better than recoveries in the corresponding period last season. Recovery % is about 0.30 point % higher than last year. Late crushing actually supplemented the recoveries this time in U.P.
· In Maharashtra, as on date, there are 142 mills in operation, which have produced 9.50 lakh tons of sugar as against 9.94 lakh tons of sugar produced by 144 sugar mills last year. Sugar recoveries are little on lower side, which is about 0.08 point % lesser than the last year.
· Sugar mills of Karnataka have produced 7.0 lakh tons of sugar as against 5.13 lakh tons over last year as on 30th November.
· Andhra Pradesh has also started season well and now 20 mills are under operation which has produced 60,000 tons of sugar, but with lower recoveries.
· ISMA is still maintaining the figure of 240 lakh tons of sugar production estimates for the current 2012-13 season as against the Department of Food and consumer affairs estimation of 230 lakh tons.